Understanding At-Will Employment and Using That Knowledge to Manage Better
This webinar will improve your understanding of "at-will" employment, how it impacts you every day at work, and why it's so important for you to manage and supervise in a way that preserves it.
You'll also learn how to apply that knowledge in practical ways so you can manage and communicate better. As you already know, effective communication leads to enhanced individual and team performance. But to engage in effective communication, you need a deeper understanding of the types of things you can say or do which, even if well intentioned, can undermine at-will employment and take away from your credibility with your employees. There are ways for you to preserve at-will employment while still addressing the needs of your human capital, minimizing the risks to your organization, and demonstrating your leadership skills. It's all about knowledge and best practices that will benefit everyone, including you, your employees and your organization as a whole.
Why you should attend: All managers and supervisors should strive to be leaders. As a leader, it's up to you to set the tone for the quality of your relationships and to make sure your employees have the information they need to excel at their jobs. How you communicate is at the heart of these goals. You can't communicate well if you don't understand how at-will employment impacts you every day at work. If you know the basic principles behind at-will employment, how at-will employment relationships are formed and how to preserve them, you're in the best position to communicate effectively so that you and your employees are positioned to succeed. At the same time, you'll be doing your part to help your organization address some of the unnecessary risks that can arise when at-will employment is undermined. Even if you're dealing with poor performers, understanding how at-will employment impacts your relationships with them will help you to preserve the flexibility you and your organization need.
Areas Covered In the Seminar:
Who will benefit:
- Definition of at-will employment
- States that have at-will employment
- Creating at-will employment relationships
- Application of at-will employment during the employment relationship
- Clear communication about employment status
- Exceptions to at-will employment
- Impact of policies and practices on at-will employment
- Discipline and at-will employment
- Reasons to preserve at-will status
- How at-will employment can be undermined
- Consequences of undermining at-will employment
- Applying your knowledge of at-will employment to manage and communicate better and create strong employment relationships
- Management and HR working together to preserve at-will status and support organization needs
- Senior Management Team
- Managers, Directors and Administrators
- Employment Managers
- HR Professionals
- Independent Contributors at manager levels