Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Audits
Learn more about Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Audits. In 2012, HHS rolled out a new audit program targeting covered entities, including group health plans for HIPAA compliance audits.
The second round of audits is about to begin in the fall of 2013. These audits focus on the national standards for the privacy of protected health information, the security of electronic protected health information, and breach notification requirements to consumers under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). This session will describe what you can expect if your health plan is selected for an HHS audit, and what you can learn from the audits, whether or not your program is ever selected. It will include real-world stories from a group health plan that has actually been through a HIPAA audit.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- An understanding of the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) audit program for HIPAA privacy, security and the Health information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act
- Key terms, enforcement authority, and procedures under the new audit program
- Who can be audited, the stages of an audit, and the audit protocols
- "Lessons Learned" from a real life audit
- HIPAA Business Associates
- Chief Information Officer
- Health Information Manager
- Office Manager
- Healthcare Council